To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

Schuyler County Historial Society

How do I contact the Schuyler County Historical Society

Please go to www.facebook.com/SchuylerCountyHistory/ and leave a message.  


Does the library have a Facebook page?

Yes, check out the many fun activities and contests at   https://www.facebook.com/Schuyler-County-Library-District-174190146083756/ 

How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

Yes, e-books are available.

Does the Library offer a children's story time hours or other activities?

Give the library a call or check out the library's Facebook page for further information and on going events.  

What hours are the library open ?

















Lancaster Baptist Church

111 S Green St, Lancaster, MO 63548

  • Sunday School-9:45 am
  • Church Service-10:45 am
  • Sunday Evening Service-6:00 pm
  • Wednesday Evening Bible Study-6:30 pm

Pastor: Mark Drummond

  • Office: 660/457-3798


Lancaster United Methodist Church

301 W Washington St, Lancaster, MO 63548

  • Sunday Morning Worship-9:00 am
  • Sunday School-10:30 am
  • Wednesday Bible Study-6:00 pm

Contact Information

Lancaster Christian Church

506 W Washington St, Lancaster, MO 63548

Schuyler County Church of Faith

706 W Washington St, Lancaster, MO 63548

  • Worship Services 8:00am and 10:00am
  • Sunday School-9:00am
  • Children’s Church-10:00am (Ages 2-17)
  • Adult Wednesday Evening Bible Study and Service-6:30pm

Contact Information

  • Pastor: Sonny Smyser 
  • Cell: Sonny Smyser 660/988-8448
  • Associate Pastor: Bob Baker
  • Cell: Bob Baker 660/216-5078
  • Cell: Bev Smyser 660/988-1562
  • Email: bevsmyser@marktwain.net

Schuyler Church of Faith's Holiday Services and Annual Events

  • Ash Wednesday service at 7pm
  • Good Friday service at 7pm
  • Easter services sunrise service-6:30 am, followed by 8am and 10am services
  • Mother's Day service at 8am and 10am
  • Memorial Day service at 8am and 10am Last Sunday of May we honor all veterans
  • Father's Day service at 8am and 10am 
  • July 4th service at 8am and 10am honoring our country and veterans
  • Halloween Party 5pm every year
  • Special Veterans Day service at 8am and 10am Special free lunch for all Schuyler veterans 
  • Thanksgiving service 7pm and a free Thanksgiving Lunch for the community
  • Christmas Eve service at 7pm this usually concludes the year. 
  • Special Children Events: Spring: roller skating and bowling party.  Summer: swim party Fall: movie and pizza party  Winter: Visit from Santa with goodie bags


Election Information

What type of ID do I need to vote?


Missouri Secretary of State- https://www.sos.mo.gov/ ​

Register to Vote in Missouri- https://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/goVoteMissouri/register

Military Voters Portal- https://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/goVoteMissouri/registeroverseas 

Show one of the forms of acceptable identification and sign the poll book to obtain your ballot:

  • A nonexpired Missouri driver or non-driver license;
  • A nonexpired military ID, including a veteran’s ID card;
  • A nonexpired United States passport; or
  • Another photo ID issued by the United States or the state of Missouri which is either not expired or expired after the date of the most recent general election.

If you do not possess any of these forms of identification, but are a registered voter, you may cast a provisional ballot. Your ballot will count if: (1) you return to your polling place on Election Day with a photo ID; or (2) the signature on your provisional ballot envelope is determined by your local election authority to match the signature on your voter registration record.

If you cast a provisional ballot, you will receive a stub from your provisional ballot envelope with instructions on how to verify that your provisional ballot is counted.

Where do I register to vote?

All Schuyler County residents can register to vote at the Schuyler County Courthouse located on the Lancaster square.

Address: 110 W Washinton Street, Lancaster, MO 63548

Phone number: 660/956-9078  

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am-12pm/1pm-4pm Monday through Friday. We are closed all federal and state observed holidays

Is city hall the water office too?

Yes, you sign up for water, sewer and trash services at city hall


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.


Does the City of Lancaster have a City Attorney?

The Lancaster Prosecting Attorney is Sherry Darling 660/ 488-5830  https://sherrydarling.law/  

Where do I pay a ticket (summons) issued by a Lancaster Police Officer?

Please pay all fines at the Schuyler County Courthouse on the  2nd floor.  The courthouse is located on the Lancaster square, 110 W Washington St.(Hwy 136)  

Financial Reports/Audits

What is the fiscal year for the City of Lancaster?

The fiscal year is January 1 thru December 31


City Council

Southward: Tommy Roberts and Paul Reynolds

Northward: John West and Cole Tippett


Southward is located SOUTH of Hwy 136

Northward is located NORTH of Hwy 136

within the city limits of Lancaster

When do I vote for city council members?

In May 

Meeting Agendas & Minutes

When are City Council meetings?

The city council meets on the 2nd Monday of each month unless otherwise posted. 

Can anyone attend an open council meeting?

Yes.  The city follows the Missouri Sunshine Laws.  


Can I request copies of minutes not available on website?

Yes.  Contact city hall and a copy can be provided.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Fire Department

Does the Fire Dept have a Facebook page?

Yes, Friends of the Lancaster Fire and Rescue.

Are there fire dues in Lancaster?

Fire dues only apply to those who live outside of the city limits.  Please contact Jason or Laura Watson for further information.  

Gas & Electric Utilities

Who provides electric in Lancaster?

Tri-County Electric Co-Op https://tricountyelectric.org/

Who provides natural gas in Lancaster?

Liberty Utilities https://missouri.libertyutilities.com

Can you install propane tanks in Lancaster?

Yes you can.  MFA Oil is located in Memphis 660/465-2397 and Kirksville 660/665-3816.  Website https://www.mfaoil.com


What is the garbage collection day?

Collection day is Wednesday.  Please have carts out by 6:30 a.m.

Are there days with no trash service?

New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. 

If a holiday falls on or before Wednesday of that week.  Trash will be delayed one day

What about appliances?

The city provides one pick up in the spring and one in the fall.  Please contact Waste Management for large appliance pick up.  866/570-4702.  

Can I use other trash cans not provided by the company?

No, the trash carts provided by the company are the only trash receptacle acceptable for pick up.  If you do not have a cart please contact city hall 660/457-3022

Can I use a different trash service?

Residential trash service is under conatract with Waste Mangement and they are the only provider.  If you have a commerical business or are in need of a dumpster you may use the provider of your choosing.  

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive City Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located on our home page……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

Voting is held in the Schuyler County Courthouse for the City of Lancaster. Please visit Schuyler County Clerk/election authority facebook page for locations and upcoming election information or call the County Clerk at 660/956-9078

Utilities in Lancaster Phone Numbers

Water: City of Lancaster 660/457-3022

Electric: Tri-County Electric 660/457-3733

Natural Gas: Liberty Utilites 855/872-3242